The foreground option prevents clamd from forking and running in the background.
For users who run it from the terminal it means that it stays in the foreground
and the user will continue to see output from clamd on the terminal, will need
a new terminal to run anything else, and closing the terminal will exit clamd.

You can enable foreground behavior either using:
1.  the "Foreground yes" config option clamd.conf
2.  using the command line argument "--foreground"

If you're seeing "clamd --foreground=true" in htop, then clamd was started with
the command line option --foreground=true.  Changing the clamd.conf won't
affect that.

Neither is "better".  It just depends on your use case.

Micah Snyder
ClamAV Development
Talos
Cisco Systems, Inc.