Oops!  Just saw this reply. Your suggestion looks like a good start.

I don't want to step on toes - Joel, are you running with this or would you
like me to put in a PR with something derived from Ged's suggestion?

-Micah

On 10/17/20, 8:43 AM, "clamav-users on behalf of G.W. Haywood via
clamav-users" <clamav-users-boun...@lists.clamav.net on behalf of
clamav-users@lists.clamav.net> wrote:

    Hi Joel,

https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav-faq/blob/master/faq/faq-safebrowsing.md

    > A pull request will allow me to review and approve.

    I'm sorry Joel, I did try to use Github's Web interface to do the edit
    but by the time I'd spent an hour searching for ways around a greyed-
    out commit button I'd had enough.  There's too little of life left to
    me to spend the rest of it fighting with productivity tools.

    Here's a suggested replacement for the file.  If you don't like it,
    please let me know in general terms how you'd like it improved and
    I'll be happy to have a go (as long as you don't make me use Github).

    8<----------------------------------------------------------------------
    # Safebrowsing  #

    CURRENT STATUS at October 2020.

    The safebrowsing feature has now been spun off into a related project.
    It requires substantially more effort to implement safebrowsing than
    simply enabling the relevant freshclam.conf configuration option.

    Briefly, tools are needed to

    1. Download the data from Google to a local mysql database using
    Google's API [*];

    2. produce a local copy of the safebrowsing database file in a form
    suitable for use by the ClamAV tools;

    3. distribute this database file to the systems which need it; and

    4. optionally notify any clamd daemons of the change.

    [*] For efficiency, the API permits downloading differences, in much
    the same way that ClamAV itself uses .cdiff files.

    Documentation can be found at

    https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav-safebrowsing

    HISTORY

    ClamAV 0.95 introduced support for the Google Safe Browsing database.

    For use with ClamAV a copy of the database was packed inside the file
    "safebrowsing.cvd" which was distributed in the same way as the other
    ClamAV database files via the ClamAV mirror network.  Downloading the
    database was disabled by default, and the feature was to be enabled
    only with extreme caution.  In order to enable this feature it was
    necessary to add the option `SafeBrowsing Yes` to freshclam.conf.
    This would tell freshclam to download the safebrowsing.cvd database,
    and when ClamAV found the database in the database directory it would
    enable the safe browsing feature. To turn it off it was necessary to
    remove the configuration option from freshclam.conf AND to remove the
    safebrowsing files from the database directory.  If clamd was running
    it was necessary to restart it.

    Updates to the safebrowsing.cvd database were discontinued in 2019 and
    it was declared obsolete.

    --

    73,
    Ged.