All:

Wow, Joel, Eric, Al, GED- thanks so much for the great material. I really
appreciate it. I have learned a lot about clamav and have come to the
conclusion that perhaps I should take a step back and mention the problem I am
trying to solve and ask for thoughts on how to solve this.

I am a fairly new Mac desktop user with limited experience in scripting and
scheduling. I have been running commercial anti-virus to fend off possible
malware, but have recently had bad experiences with two commercial products,
particularly with regard to privacy. I am a believer in the value of
open-source software and thought I would investigate such alternatives- hence,
ClamAV. I am not against the idea of research and investigation, but I’m not
able to find a single source of record that was clearly able to help me
understand how to use ClamAV as a simple desktop solution to replace some of
the functionality I mentioned previously, particularly scheduling and on-access
scanning. Also, until today I didn’t have a really clear explanation of the
differences between clam and clamd (thanks GED).

I was looking to replace this anti-virus functionality with ClamAV and other
add-on software to perform these base anti-virus tasks. The process has been
“two steps forward, one back” in a lot of ways because I didn’t have background
using lists or IRC. Learning these will be useful down the road. I thought that
my case can’t be unique and that there would likely be other Mac desktop users
doing the same thing who might know of required artifacts that could steer me
in the right direction. I have planned investigating a simple consulting
session if I could find someone to fill in the gaps.

That said, I’m really happy to have received the information you all have
provided. Any thoughts you may have are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JS