Hi there,

On Thu, 4 Mar 2021, Michael Kyriacou via clamav-users wrote:

when I type man clamd, I don’t get any information on threads.

Please accept my apologies.  I meant the 'man' page for clamd.conf.

I’ve tested setting MaxThreads to 100 vs 16(the amount of vcpus the scanner
has), and I did not see a performance increase.
What is the recommend setting for MaxThreads/MaxQueue for a 16 core system?

The 'man' page for clamd.conf should give you a better idea.  There's
more than one thing to think about.  I don't know of any specific
recommendations for particular systems or even classes of systems.  I
think you'll need to think about your particular scenario and perhaps
experiment with settings.  Now that we've identified the issue with
use of special characters on your command lines you might find that
things start to make more sense to you.  Look again at the logs and
check the process activity (for example with 'top', or better 'atop').
You might need to look into the documentation about ClamAV's logging
get it to help you more.

Also another question- Is there anyway to force clamd to use more RAM to
increase performance.

If you're going to scan millions of files for millions of signatures,
performance is always going to be an issue, and especially so if a lot
of the files will be big archives.  You might need to think about the
approach, rather than just point the scanner at an enormous data store
and hope for the best.

You're probably seeing a number of limitations, not just memory.  The
performance of mass storage I/O, memory and CPU will all bear on the
overall performance of your scans.  The daemon will use what memory is
available to it, but it seems to me that memory is unlikely to be the
biggest issue in your system.  You need to get a good feel for which
resources are under pressure and which aren't.  Given what you've said
you're doing, I trust that you use exclusively 64-bit executables?

--

73,
Ged.