Hi there,

On Fri, 19 Mar 2021, Bill Speidel wrote:

Clam AV has put it's database behind Cloudflare...  as a result the updates no longer work because Cloudflare is blocking Linode.com machines...

Nope.  That's not right.  ClamAV has been using Cloudflare for ages.
But some protection against chronic abuse has recently been implemented.
Also, access by some very old versions of the ClamAV products has been
blocked - this was announced beforehand but I guess you didn't see that.

the updates are getting a 429 error saying that we are "rate limited"...

That's probably because you've been abusing ClamAV's service.  I feel
sure that it was unwittingly.

if this continues it will make Clam AV useless because eventually
the database will be so out of date that new viruses will get
through...

Your logic is flawed.  If you think this way about *any* anti-virus
product you are going to have compromised systems.  New viruses will
get through anyway.

There should be some way for Clam AV to tell Cloudflare to unhide
the AV database and fix the 429 errors....

Have you just joined this mailing list?  Please read all the posts to
it for the past couple of weeks.  After that by all means please feel
free to get back to us with information about your usage of ClamAV if
you actually need help.

Incidentally I block all Linode servers as a matter of routine, and I
have done for several years.  The amount of abuse which emanates from
them is truly staggering.

--

73,
Ged.