Hi,

> > I'm using clamav with spamassassin and amavis on fedora33 and would
> > like to block content based on CL_TYPE_SCRIPT, such as javascript
> > within a PDF.
> >
> > https://www.clamav.net/documents/clamav-file-types
> >
> > How does this work?

> Having decided what you're scanning is a container (like PDF), then
> trying to detect malicious code embedded in there is another issue.
> In itself, detecting if JavaScript content is malicious presents some
> interesting and potentially troublesome challenges.

Yes, understood - I'm looking to block all PDFs that contain
javascript, malicious or otherwise.

> Your subject line is "Blocking file types?" but you're using ClamAV
> with SpamAssassin and Amavis so I guess that you'll be scanning mail.
> If I understand your question correctly, you could create a signature
>
> (a) which is only used for streams determined by ClamAV to contain PDF
> data (type 10, see your link), and
>
> (b) which looks for something like the string "/JS" in the PDF data.
>
> Clearly this simple-minded specification would not distinguish between
> malicious and benign scripts, and it would also risk false positives.

Yes, and your resources were very helpful, but the clamav instructions
for building a signature appear to rely on there being an existing
file. I have a few PDFs that include javascript, but I don't want to
build a signature for them specifically, but more generally for those
that simply contain javascript.

> Did I get anywhere near to answering your question?

Yes, and very appreciative, as always.

Thanks,
Alex