On 28/07/2021 21:53, G.W. Haywood via clamav-users wrote:
Hi Paul,

On Wed, 28 Jul 2021, Paul Kosinski via clamav-users wrote:

In my case, I can't simply upgrade to the latest Debian (or any
other distro), as one of the systems is our home firewall and
gateway -- with iptables, multi-LAN routing (with local DNS), a bit
of bridging, encrypted tunnels to elsewhere, etc. This means we
would lose *all* Internet connectivity for who knows how long if I
tried an in-place upgrade.

I'd recommend not using any big distro for your perimiter firewall.
I use one of the purpose-built stripped-down firewall distributions.
The maintenance needed on it is minimal, and it doesn't prevent you
from having firewalls on other machines too.  To get to *any* of our
servers from outside, packets must traverse at least three firewalls.

So the only way to move forward seems to be to rebuild our system on
separate hardware. I have started this on hardware I already mainly
have (being retired, and thus without corporate budget or staff).

One of the slightly unexpected benefits of using things like the
Raspberry Pi is that you can have a few of them kicking around which
are surplus to requirements and just fire one up as and when needed.

I second what Ged is saying here, for firewalls and so on the Raspberry Pi and its ilk are a much better choice than a full-on system, they use /much/ less power, and keeping a spare or three isn't a board- (or wife-) level budget request. :-)

I still like a full-on machine for handling email, but that's because I run Panda-IMAP, which is probably the closest thing to a "reference" IMAP implementation we will ever see, and I can do far more clever things with disks and SANs when needed.

        Cheers,
                Gary    B-)

P.S. Yes, I know I said good-bye, but I am interested in the fall-out of the recent decisions made about ClamAV. (And I like to laugh at the, "I haven't been able to download...", posts. :-) )