On 12/6/2021 10:04 PM, Paul Kosinski wrote:
On Mon, 6 Dec 2021 16:41:51 -0500
Bowie Bailey via clamav-users <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net> wrote:

I followed the instructions to install the prerequisites and then went through
the
steps for the default build.  Everything went fine until I got to the last step.

$ sudo cmake --build . --target install
sudo: cmake: command not found

The instructions have me install cmake under my user directory (python3 -m pip
install --user cmake pytest).  That works fine for the build and testing steps,
however, it becomes a problem when I try to do the install under sudo.

Do I need to re-install cmake system-wide, or is there a way I can specify to
use the
local version when running sudo?

Could I log in as root, add the /home/username/.local/bin directory to the
path, and
then do the install?  If so, do I need to add the /home/username/.local/lib
directory
to a lib variable?

I could just experiment with the settings, but that's a bit dangerous when
running an
install as root.

-------------------------------------

I also don't like running "install" as root.

I have always built ClamAV from source and installed it under
"/opt/clamav-VERSION". This was originally because I didn't want to
wipe out a previous working version until I tested the new version.

But it turns out to have another advantage as well: I can do *all* the
"make" stuff, including the "make install", as non-root. Then, at the
last minute, I do a "chmod -R 0.0" of the new installation, followed by
a "chmod -R clamuid.clamgid" of the "share/clamav/" subdirectory,
followed by setting a symbolic link of "/opt/clamav" to the new
version's subdirectory under "/opt".

Of course this also requires creating the new "/opt/clamav-VERSION"
directory with the proper permissions, changing some of the "make"
options to non-standard values, and now, changing an option or two to
put the systemd stuff into a different place to avoid tying ClamAV to
systemd. (I continue to use cron to trigger updates.)

Not a bad idea.  I may give that a try.

--
Bowie