On 17/01/2022 15:26, Andrew C Aitchison wrote:

On Mon, 17 Jan 2022, Nick Howitt via clamav-users wrote:

On 17/01/2022 14:33, Andrew C Aitchison wrote:
Not quite. I have taken over the packaging of this and the justification of packaging the sigs is partly that the tool will work and scan out of the box, partly for the offline consideration and partly because there will be a delay after installation where ClamAV is installed but not in a running condition. IIRC it won't even start without a database. This means that a yum install will need to pause and run freshclam before it can attempt to start clamd.

This has knock-on issues and, apparently, it is always best for yum todownload what it needs with yum and not some third party tool.

Last time I looked at the .spec file the signatures were marked
     %config(noreplace)
Does that avoid the yum issues ?

I can see the sense in running
     freshclam --datadir=...
(or cvdupdate) in the
%prep or %build section of clamav.spec
rather than in the %post.

Or even have two sub-packages clamav-db-large and clamav-db-small
both providing clamav-db ? -large has the files and -small has the %post script.

I give up. This is like pushing water up hill. There is no sensible way of building the packages in one pass which allows me to package the sigs automatically. It looks like Cisco will block you if you try to down load anything and fighting Cisco or trying to get them to change is a total waste of effort.