Kris Deugau wrote:
I went to load a semi-bookmarked page for signature writing (https://docs.clamav.net/manual/Signatures.html), but it failed and kept reloading Cloudflare's "security check" voodoo.

(Side question to pass up the chain at Cisco/Talos - is there a knob that can be twisted somewhere to force that check to run exactly once, then stop?  I can't imagine any scenario where running it over and over and over has any benefit to anyone.  [And for bonus points, display an error message that gives some sliver of a hint what beyond-the-bleeding-edge headacheware the site or its security provider insist on relying on this week.])

I then tried to load the main site, https://www.clamav.net, which also went into the same loop.

I usually use Seamonkey (all-in-one Mozilla suite).  I tried Konqueror which seemed to load things up fine.

Since starting to write this and putting it aside, I've come across a small handful of other sites with the same issue, including one case where the base site triggered the issue but a directory under the base site did not.  Since I'm *not* seeing it across a large number of sites, it's pretty clearly some specific security option in Cloudflare causing the failure.

-kgd

ClamAV's site works for me, using SeaMonkey 2.53.14 - I'd been looking at those pages before sending my earlier reply. It seems to be affected by Edit > Preferences > Advanced > HTTP Networking. I usually have that set to just identify as SeaMonkey. With it set to identify as SeaMonkey and advertise Firefox compatibility, I see the looping effect you describe (at least when I enable Javascript, which is usually blocked by NoScript).

I've also had sites protected by another system (Akamai, I think) block access if Javascript is disabled. With those, just enabling Javascript and reloading doesn't work, as they seem to set some sort of cookie remembering that you're blocked - so have to also delete the cookie before reloading.

--
Mark.