"Daniel Rall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Yeah, same here.  I vote for doing away with heavyweight peer
> components all together and having the AWT simply wrap the
> lightweight JFC components.

The GTK+ heavyweight peers are almost complete.  We're not going to
just throw them away.  They work.

As for the possibility of implementing peers using lightweight
components, we need free JFC components first.

> That way we have a completely portable implementation and never have
> to worry about writing a single line of native code (as far as the
> AWT goes).

If you have a completely portable implementation, how do you ever
display anything to the screen?  You have to interface with the
hardware at some level, and that's going to be non-portable.

--
Paul Fisher * [EMAIL PROTECTED]