On Mon, Dec 13, 1999 at 11:56:33AM +1300, Bryce McKinlay wrote:
> John Keiser wrote:
> > classes needed still others that aren't ready yet):
> >
> > java.awt.Event
>
> I wrote this yesterday as part of an effort to get classpath's AWT classes
> working on gcj.  I plan to do the missing ColorModel classes soon.
> Note that there are other missing AWT classes that would be required to
> make it 1.1-complete

I just looked at the 1.1.8 classlist
<URL:http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.1/docs/relnotes/classlist.html>
And the only classes missing from the current Classpath CVS seem to be:

java.applet.*
java.awt.Event
java.awt.GridBagConstraints
java.awt.GridBagLayout
java.awt.MediaTracker
java.awt.image.AreaAveragingScaleFilter
java.awt.image.ColorModel
java.awt.image.CropImageFilter
java.awt.image.DirectColorModel
java.awt.image.FilteredImageSource
java.awt.image.IndexColorModel
java.awt.image.MemoryImageSource
java.awt.image.PixelGrabber
java.awt.image.RGBImageFilter
java.awt.image.ReplicateScaleFilter
java.rmi.*
java.text.DecimalFormat
java.util.zip.*

(And there are already a lot of 1.2 class implementations in Classpath.)
Does anybody know what else should be implemented before Classpath has a
complete 1.1 class implementation?

> > Loren has been gone for a long time and we have made more than sufficient
> > efforts to contact him; I personally think it's about time for someone
> > else to pick up the work.
>
> libgcj also has a working java.util.zip (using zlib).

Does that implemention use JNI or CNI? I guess Classpath needs a JNI
implementation. (And to be used in Classpath the copyright should probably
be assigned to the FSF, but maybe Cygnus already does that?)

If there is still no sign of Loren at the end of the week and Classpath
cannot borrow a java.util. zip implementation from another project I would be
happy to start working on it (should it be based on zlib or pure java?).

> I hope that these two projects can work more closely together in the future
> - there is a lot to be gained on either side.

It would be very nice if gcj could use the Classpath classes but would that
mean that all the native libraries should be reimplemented with an CNI
interface? (Classpath only uses JNI as far as I could tell.)

Cheers,

Mark