Mark> The CNI version does all Nullpointer and array bounds checking
Mark> in native code. The JNI version does all that checking in
Mark> java. I am not sure why you would want to do that checking in
Mark> native code in this case.

To avoid extra overhead.  With CNI, having a single method is more
efficient than having a Java part and a native part for each method.

Mark> The CNI version seems to synchronize all the native calls, the
Mark> JNI version does not.

Yes.  That represents a fairly conservative choice on my part.

Tom