On 3/19/06, Andrew John Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm only thinking about this for interfaces, where e.g. part of the
> interface is implemented, the rest is stubbed.  You remove the stubs,
> and declare the rest abstract so it will at least compile (and be
> comparable).  Yes, it will break functionality, but that's an incentive
> to fix the rest of it... Presumably, japi would pick that up as a
> concrete/abstract difference and for each of the missing methods.
> For anything else, they should be removed.

I'm thinking of things like swing.text.html. My understanding is that
currently several of the html View subclasses contain a number of stub
methods where the actual HTMLy behavior still needs to be implemented
to make the HTML render correctly styled, but if you were to declare
the classes as entirely abstract, the HTML couldn't render at all (and
applications which currently "run but look ugly" would stop running
entirely).

Of course I'm not a Swing hacker... anyone who's actually familiar
with this code want to weigh in?

> We could do this on generics.  I already find 1.5 comparisons pretty
> useless for HEAD, because it will never be able to implement all the
> language features (and will have differences).

Yeah, but isn't that just another set of divergences from the trunk to maintain?

(then again, you're the person who'd have to *do* said maintaining, so
I guess you've thought of that)

Stuart.

--
http://sab39.dev.netreach.com/