hello Mark,

On Thursday 23 March 2006 22:06, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 21:16 +1100, Raif S. Naffah wrote:
> ...i'd like a second opinion on a legal-related issue.
> >
> > the tool reads and uses private and public cryptographic data from
> > a keystore that is in a proprietary format: "JKS" from Sun.  the
> > code i use to do the reading from such a keystore* is available at
> > <http://metastatic.org/source/JKS.java>.
> >
> > i'd like a ruling on whether it's ok to import and use this code in
> > GNU Classpath.
>
> Unfortunately no. The last time this came up FSF legal didn't like us
> using code which was written by reverse engineering the original code
> and format. And for which no public documentation was available at
> all. We can ask again of course. And maybe just using the description
> of the format (which I believe is also documented outside the code
> you reference itself) and then letting someone else write a new
> implementation for it is OK.
>
> The question is also whether we really need to support this
> undocumented keystore format. There are open formats. And we can also
> work towards something like
> http://metastatic.org/text/gnu-keyring.txt
>
> What is your opinion? Is it important enough to support this JKS
> format to try and jump through some legal hoops? Or can we just stick
> to open keystore formats?

i think yes for two reasons:

1. for everything Java, Sun sets the pace.  in practice if Sun offers a
format, an API, etc... Java programmers will use it in preference to
any other alternative.  an example would be the log4j logging API v/s
jdk logging.

2. if the alternative is not a drop-in replacement, there will always be
a reticence, by Java programmers, to that alternative compared to what
Sun offers.  an example is our endeavor (GNU Classpath), to match the
behavior of Sun's JDKs, incl. bugs!

cheers;
rsn