On Mar 23, 2006, at 11:11 AM, Casey Marshall wrote:

On Mar 23, 2006, at 3:47 AM, Audrius Meskauskas wrote:

Maybe one person can look into that code, write the brief draft of the documentation and then another can implement it using that documentation only? This would be the possibility to work with formats for that there is no other specification available apart from the released piece of the implementing code.

That is, in fact, what the documentation comments for that class do, which are rendered here: <http://metastatic.org/source/ JKS.html>. This is a simple, English description of the format, and I don't think (but, not-a-lawyer, yadda yadda) if someone were to use this to construct their own implementation,

"they would not be tainted,"

:-P

even if this description was obtained through reverse engineering.

I mean, as far as the *idea* of that format goes:

- No-one can claim it's a trade secret, because Sun licenses the source to third parties. - No-one can make a copyright claim, because it's a simple English description of an algorithm, not Sun's code itself.
  - This format is unlikely to be patented.

So, if I reverse-engineer this format, then write a simple document describing the format and give that description to someone else, the question is how "tainted" that person is. I don't think here in the US this taints the other person much at all. Do any other jurisdictions (of which the present company is a resident) have lenient enough laws such that using this description to write a new implementation doesn't taint them?