Hi Martin,

There are currently no plugins enabled by default in GNU Classpath's
ImageIO, due to some missing pieces in the javax.imageio package, mainly
some *InputStream classes are not working properly.

This is already worked on, and we hope to provide at least BMP and JPEG
support in 0.92. You might try and use the current CVS version in the
meantime. This would also help us to shake out remaining issues.

I think it should be possible to use the BMP codec from
gnu.javax.imageio.bmp and to register and use custom codecs via the
standard API, but be warned that there might be problems (see above).

Regards, Roman

--
“Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads, without
Improvement, are roads of Genius.” - William Blake