Hi Anthony,

Am Mittwoch, den 21.06.2006, 07:19 -0700 schrieb Anthony Green:
> On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 10:59 +0200, Roman Kennke wrote:
> > >   Natively compiling the code doesn't yield much of
> > > an improvement over jamVM.  Some interesting results.
> >
> > Yeah sure, most of the work is done in native code, so it doesn't really
> > matter if the VM is an interpreter, completely compiled or jit.
>
> I believe Sun's OpenGL backend avoids JNI overhead by writing GUI
> commands to a queue in some kind of bytecode, and then having a single
> native thread pulling the commands off the queue in a loop to call the
> underlying toolkit routines.  My understanding is that this worked so
> well that they plan on doing the same thing for their other peer ports.

Funny, I was thinking up something similar for our Cairo stuff without
ever hearing from Sun's impl, since pushing complicated polygons to
Cairo takes one JNI call per point plus a couple more for the actual
drawing command. I think writing commands to a queue would give a nice
boost. Let's try it soon!

/Roman

--
“Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads, without
Improvement, are roads of Genius.” - William Blake