The shape of things to come?

>From Tom Atlee: http://www.co-intelligence.org/tomatleebio.html
>
>Dear friends,
>
>This is serious and urgent.  There is a clear and present danger to
>democracy in Oregon which could spread to other states.
>
>Senate Bill 742 proposed by Oregon State Senator Minnis (R-Dist. 25 /
>Fairview)(Chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee) creates the crime
>of "terrorism" -- punishable by life imprisonment.  Senator Minnis
>defines "terrorism" so broadly that even being present at a
>demonstration that is in any way "disruptive" could result in life
>imprisonment.
>
>I have given the relevant sections of the bill below, as well as the
>link to the whole bill.  I have also provided information from the
>American Civil Liberties Union regarding this, including contact
>information for the relevant Oregon State Senators.
>
>Ever since laws began to be passed criminalizing "terrorism," I have
>been concerned that its definition would be expanded to include
>anything that authorities wished to suppress which could then be
>subject to extreme punishment, laying the groundwork for serious
>suppression. It seems that is now happening.  It must be
>energetically nipped in the bud if we are to prevent its spread.
>
>If this law passes in Oregon, it is highly likely that other states
>will pass similar laws, especially in the current political climate.
>
>I trust you will act if you feel so moved.  Whether you are an Oregon
>resident or not, you can express your dismay to the Oregon State
>Senators listed below.  If you are an Oregon resident you can, in
>addition, attend a hearing Monday morning Mar 24 in Salem, OR
>(specifics below).
>
>Coheartedly,
>
>Tom
>
>PS:  The law also sets aside (in terrorism cases) two other Oregon
>laws which prevent police from (a) spying on innocent people and
>organizations and (b) apprehending people solely for immigration
>violations.

>SUMMARY:  Creates crime of terrorism. Punishes by life imprisonment.
>
>SECTION 1.
>
>(1) A person commits the crime of terrorism if the person knowingly
>plans, participates in or carries out any act that is intended, by at
>least one of its participants, to disrupt:
>(a) The free and orderly assembly of the inhabitants of the State of
>Oregon;
>(b) Commerce or the transportation systems of the State of Oregon; or
>(c) The educational or governmental institutions of the State of
>Oregon or its inhabitants.
>
>(2) A person commits the crime of terrorism if the person conspires
>to do any of the activities described in subsection (1) of this
>section.
>(4)
>(a) A person convicted of terrorism shall be punished by imprisonment
>for life.
>(b) When a person is convicted of terrorism under this section, the
> [...]

Director of The Tyrian Network
A 501(c)3 dedicated to Creativity, Healing & Peace
216.371.2547

Welcome to the Cleveland Non-Violence List Serve.
Visit our web-site at www.clevelandnv.org
Please remember to post in plain text and post only the essential text (do not forward
messy messages or webpages.)

The Cleveland Non-Violence Network is the listserve of activists in the Cleveland area
committed to a non-violent, justice-based response to terrorism and promoting peace
nationally and internationally.

To unsubscribe, send a blank e-mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

If friends want to subscribe, tell them to send an e-mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To read this list on the web, please visit:
    http://www.topica.com/lists/ClevelandNV

Wendy  Johnson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
List Moderator