After reading through the proposed bill, I passed the information along to some friends in Oregon.

I was just looking it over again and realized that the broad language of the definition of a terrorist could actually work AGAINST the state in many cases. One of the definitions of a terrorist is someone who disrupts "the free and orderly assembly of the inhabitants of the State of Oregon". Well, if an organization is granted a permit to march through the streets of Portland and the police interfere or break up the march, the language of this bill would define the officers involved as terrorists as well.

Just something to remember if (God forbid), the law is enacted.

Brian

Dear friends,

This is serious and urgent.  There is a clear and present danger to
democracy in Oregon which could spread to other states.

Senate Bill 742 proposed by Oregon State Senator Minnis (R-Dist. 25 /
Fairview)(Chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee) creates the crime
of "terrorism" -- punishable by life imprisonment.  Senator Minnis
defines "terrorism" so broadly that even being present at a
demonstration that is in any way "disruptive" could result in life
imprisonment.

I have given the relevant sections of the bill below, as well as the
link to the whole bill.  I have also provided information from the
American Civil Liberties Union regarding this, including contact
information for the relevant Oregon State Senators.

Ever since laws began to be passed criminalizing "terrorism," I have
been concerned that its definition would be expanded to include
anything that authorities wished to suppress which could then be
subject to extreme punishment, laying the groundwork for serious
suppression. It seems that is now happening.  It must be
energetically nipped in the bud if we are to prevent its spread.

If this law passes in Oregon, it is highly likely that other states
will pass similar laws, especially in the current political climate.

I trust you will act if you feel so moved.  Whether you are an Oregon
resident or not, you can express your dismay to the Oregon State
Senators listed below.  If you are an Oregon resident you can, in
addition, attend a hearing Monday morning Mar 24 in Salem, OR
(specifics below).

Coheartedly,

Tom

PS:  The law also sets aside (in terrorism cases) two other Oregon
laws which prevent police from (a) spying on innocent people and
organizations and (b) apprehending people solely for immigration
violations.

SUMMARY: Creates crime of terrorism. Punishes by life imprisonment.

SECTION 1.

(1) A person commits the crime of terrorism if the person knowingly
plans, participates in or carries out any act that is intended, by at
least one of its participants, to disrupt:
(a) The free and orderly assembly of the inhabitants of the State of
Oregon;
(b) Commerce or the transportation systems of the State of Oregon; or
(c) The educational or governmental institutions of the State of
Oregon or its inhabitants.

(2) A person commits the crime of terrorism if the person conspires
to do any of the activities described in subsection (1) of this
section.
(4)
(a) A person convicted of terrorism shall be punished by imprisonment
for life.
(b) When a person is convicted of terrorism under this section, the
court shall order that the person be confined for a minimum of 25
years without possibility of parole, release to post-prison
supervision, release on work release or any form of temporary leave
or employment at a forest or work camp....

Welcome to the Cleveland Non-Violence List Serve. Visit our web-site at www.clevelandnv.org
Please remember to post in plain text and post only the essential text (do not forward messy messages or webpages.)

The Cleveland Non-Violence Network is the listserve of activists in the Cleveland area committed to a non-violent, justice-based response to terrorism and promoting peace nationally and internationally.

To unsubscribe, send a blank e-mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

If friends want to subscribe, tell them to send an e-mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To read this list on the web, please visit:
   http://www.topica.com/lists/ClevelandNV

Wendy  Johnson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
List Moderator