On Tue, 7 Feb 2023 23:14:23 GMT, Damon Nguyen <dngu...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Before the fix, a JComboBox in Nimbus L&F would have normal black text even
>> when the JComboBox was disabled if SynthComboBoxRenderer was replaced with a
>> DefaultListCellRenderer. This text should be greyed out like in other L&F's.
>> When looking into the defaults for Nimbus L&F files for attributes and
>> states of a JComboBox, it confirm that the intention for disabled
>> JComboBoxes is nimbusDisabledText (which is grey text).
>>
>> SynthComboBoxes have an additional check in its default
>> SynthComboBoxRenderer that enables/disables the renderer itself. The
>> SynthComboBoxRenderer inherits its enabled state from the parent ComboBox.
>> Since the renderer with DefaultListCellRenderer is in a separate class
>> without a reference to the comboBox, a listener was added to SynthComboBoxUI.
>>
>> An additional issue occurred in DefaultListCellRenderer because the renderer
>> overrode the listener's re-assigned enabled state. In testing, setting the
>> enabled state in DefaultListCellRenderer is redundant for all L&F's and is
>> not needed here. However, instead of removing it altogether, a conditional
>> was added specifically to allow ComboBoxes to skip setting enabled state
>> here.
>>
>> After the fix, the Nimbus JComboBox with DLCR set matches the appearance of
>> a normal Nimbus JComboBox. I can enable/disable the JComboBoxes in the test,
>> and the UI elements behave and appear as expected.
>
> Damon Nguyen has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
> commit since the last revision:
>
>   Update years. Add conditional

`SynthComboBoxUI.createRenderer` points to `SynthComboBoxRenderer `so I think
`DefaultListCellRenderer `should not come into picture for rendering cells in
the list which should go via `getListCellRendererComponent`.
If it is playing a part, then how it works in other L&F which also has it own
renderer (for example, `BasicComboBoxUI.createRenderer` points to
`BasicComboBoxRenderer`, AquaComboBox points to `AquaComboBoxRenderer`) and
they dont have this listener to make it work, so the question why do we need a
listener for Synth still not clear to me..

PR: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/12390