On Fri, 9 Feb 2024 19:11:22 GMT, Phil Race <p...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> I thought SkippedException looks like a "pass" too ?
> What is effectively different by using it here ?

No, it's not. If a test throws `jtreg.SkippedException`, then it's reported as
**skipped**. It is neither a failure nor a success — it indicates the
prerequisites aren't met.

> If the @printer keyword is there, then let's educate people that there MUST
> be a printer by making the test fail or if possible report a jtreg "error".
> Not sure if that is possible, error is usually timeout and things like that.

That's exactly what `jtreg.SkippedException` does: it's a configuration /
environment error.

Most printer tests already have such a condition. Previously, each test behaved
as if the test passed even though it wasn't even run.

The `jtreg.SkippedException` changes the status which comes out as a distinct
one from either *pass* or *fail*.

Do you think this check should be removed completely? Yes, it is somewhat
redundant: the test with `@key printer` should not be started in an environment
where there's no printer.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/17790#issuecomment-1936484630