Writing Eclipse plugins in Clojure is very interesting is a long term
goal.  In order to pull that off, I would need to extend/implement
Eclipse platform classes and interfaces in Clojure, and export these
classes in an Eclipse plugin, which is an OSGi bundle.

Scala rewrote their Eclipse plugin in Scala at a certain point -- but
Scala is easier as it compiles to *.class files.  Clojure will be more
challenging as I'll need to hook up clojure.lang.Compiler to the
classloader directly, and expose dynamically compiled bytecode.
However, the potential could be huge.  Not only could Clojure be used
for Eclipse PDE development, but Clojure-OSGi bundles would
interoperate with other OSGi solutions (Glassfish, Apache ServiceMix,
etc.).  OSGi would give Clojure apps some nice deployment options and
a new devious way to sneak Clojure into the enterprise :)

In the meantime, I'm ok with developing in Java now with the
possibility of rewriting in Clojure later.  This ugly Java code will
at least serve as a blueprint for what's to come.

Casey