On 8 Nov., 18:00, Meikel Brandmeyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 08.11.2008 um 17:39 schrieb Meikel Brandmeyer:
>
> >> (defn returning [returnval & body]
> >>  returnval)
>
> And another question, which a I got when I read the
> mail of Phlex: Is the order of evaluation of function
> arguments guaranteed to be from the left to the right?

I am very sure that Clojure guarantees this.
In a pure functional language (like Haskell) this has not
to be the case. As there are no side effects it absolutely
does not matter at all in what order anything is evaluated.
But Clojure is a functional and imperative language, and
for running Java we need this guarantee.

At a first glance I see no need for implementing that in
the core language, and also not as a macro.
This can easily be implemented as a function, as Robert
demonstrated.
I also don’t see how the function hides the “do the rest”
part. Maybe returning is not the best name, but how would
we benefit of a macro, which is more complicated and also
is not first class and can’t be passed around?