On Dec 2, 5:42 am, Stuart Halloway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Is it big enough to matter? My intuition says "yes".  That's worth
> nothing, so I will write some tests when I have some spare time ...
> but secretly I was hoping that this thread would goad someone else
> into writing the tests and publishing their results. :-)

I've got a parallel (using Pthreads) Monte Carlo test program in C
that could be easily ported.  If nobody wants to do my work for me ;-P
then I'll get to it as soon as I can.  But I don't have PRNG quality
metrics -- those are the main things we should port if we're into
writing new parallel PRNGs.  btw you probably don't have to implement
your own from scratch -- you could just port something like SPRNG:

http://sprng.fsu.edu/Version2.0/index.html

I've written a little about interfaces for parallel PRNGs here:

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~mhoemmen/cs194/Tutorials/prng.pdf

I have the feeling that the "right interface" for a single stream of
pseudorandom numbers is a seq, rather than a "function" that you
call.

mfh