On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 00:07:56 -0800 (PST)
"don.aman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Since we're being all high-level, it'd be good for a random function
> which allows us to specify the range of numbers, since % doesn't
> promise an even spread of probabilities (especially for large ranges).

If one plans to get very involved in the business of noise, I would
recommend exploring Boost's random library for C++. It provides an
array of entropy sources (MT, lagged fib, nondeterministic sources,
etc) and statistical distributions (uniform, normal, lognormal, and a
BUNCH more), and the user composes one of each to produce a generator.

I don't know how well the API would translate into a functional
programming style, but such a separation turns out to be fairly elegant.
Of course, it's probably also far too specialized to belong in the core!

As much flak as C++ gets, I feel like Boost goes a *long* way towards
making C++ productive and enjoyable for certain kinds of problems. There
are a lot of smart folks behind Boost and I personally wouldn't hesitate
to steal good ideas from them :)

-Kyle