> > One thing I immediately ran up against were certain situations where
> > I have a map and want to "modify" a value several levels deep into
> > the hierarchy.  Imagine the following structure:
>
> > (def nested-structure { :level 0,
> >                         :nested1 { :level 1,
> >                                   :nested2 { :level 2,
> >                                             :final-data "initial data"}}})
>
> Look into clojure.zip (.../src/clj/clojure/zip.clj in the Clojure
> source).

Excellent... thanks for the pointer.  I will take a stab at using this
for maps (I see stuff for vector-zip, but not yet maps).

As an off-hand comment made without careful reading, I can imagine
there being great utility in a special reader-syntax for paths.  XSLT
embeds xpath, and groovy embeds gpath.  I am unsure at this point the
exact capabilities of the zipper, so I don't know whether it's meant
to go to a single location in a tree (it seems this way) or whether it
refers to a sequence of all tree nodes that satisfy the predicates of
the path (as xpath and gpath do).  For the latter scenario, though, a
reader syntax for a "path" could be very useful.

thanks again !

daniel