Thanks Bill for posting such detailed Clojure+SLIME setup instructions
on your blog! :-D

One thing that tripped me up was that my .emacs was loading a custom
SLIME (since I use the .emacs for Emacs 21 as well as Emacs 22, and
Emacs 21 does not come with SLIME by default).  The custom SLIME was
an older version and so _everything_ was messed up ;-P  but not
requiring 'slime also caused troubles.  I ended up inserting the
following

(require 'slime)
(slime-setup)

before the following lines in your .emacs:

(require 'clojure-auto)
(require 'swank-clojure-autoload)

That seemed to help matters.  Now I'm using Clojure a lot more because
I don't have to cut and paste between Emacs and the shell prompt ;-)

Many thanks!
mfh