> Anyone have any ideas? I'm pretty confused as to what might be going
> on. Some sort of deadlock in the thread pool that isn't allowing the
> AWT event thread any cycles? I'm looking at the thread pool in JSwat
> and I see a lot of Swank threads, but I can't tell exactly what's
> going on.

I literally just had this problem today.  I was having slime hang on
me with _any_ swing code.  So I tried the basic repl and even the most
basic

(. javax.swing.JOptionPane (showMessageDialog nil "Hello World"))

and even this was failing.  Spent an hour svn updating, etc.

Finally, I clicked on the system icon tray at the bottom right of XP
and noticed that that the stupid Java download manager wanted me to
update.  I let it download whatever patch it wanted and then suddenly
everything worked.

It could be coincidental.  But I am telling you just in case.