> It seems to me that Ring's approach works well if there's the
> possibility of implementing Ring using technology other than Servlets.
> In this case, it makes sense for Ring to act as a minimum common
> interface. But if this isn't your goal, then you're just removing
> functionality for aesthetic reasons.
>
> I'm in two minds about this. I agree that session handling and
> parameter parsing don't belong in a functional interface for HTTP
> handling. But on the other hand, they certainly do belong in a
> functional interface to the Java Servlet spec (flawed as that spec may
> be). If you're attempting the former, then I agree with your decision.
> If it's the latter, I think you should be more pragmatic.

For Ring, the HttpServlet API is a means to an end, not an end in
itself. The interface that Servlets present for parameter parsing and
session handling are too flawed to merit their inclusion as default
choices for Ring apps and the binding of Ring to Servlets in general.

Thus I'd like to see Ring applications remain decoupled from the
Servlet API, while Ring handlers can leverage Servlet functionality
internally to implement for these apps the cleanest HTTP API possible.