On Jan 12, 10:21 am, Stuart Sierra <the.stuart.sie...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> If you have
> highly-optimized, custom-designed numerical algorithms written in a
> low-level language like C++, you will never be able to write a version
> that is equally fast in a dynamic, virtual-machine language.

I wouldn't say "never"; clearly Clojure is a managed language, but one
important selling point it has I think versus "language+toy VM"
dynamic languages like Ruby and Python is that you can easily drop to
a lower level with type hints, and in Java dropping to primitives is
going down even farther.

It doesn't seem hard to imagine that Hotspot could see through and
unroll some "inner loop" functional Clojure code with type hints into
something much like what a C/C++ compiler would produce.