On Feb 8, 2009, at 4:04 PM, Mark Volkmann wrote:

The error I get is "org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: FATAL: no
PostgreSQL user name specified in startup packet". I think the problem
is that the username and password values in db aren't used by
with-connection unless a DataSource object is specified.

That is not correct. When using the DriverManager parameter set, any other keys and values present in db will be passed along to the driver as properties.

Based on this:

        http://jdbc.postgresql.org/documentation/81/connect.html

it looks like PostgreSQL expects the key for the property identifying the user to be "user", not "username".

--Steve