On Mar 23, 2017 2:00 PM, "Mark Engelberg" <mark.engelb...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 11:24 AM, Luke Burton <luke_bur...@me.com> wrote:

> * So … if I was in your position, knowing what I know now, if I couldn't
> find companies that had very progressive hiring practices, I would make my
> resume stand out by leading in with an offer to spend a few hours writing a
> small implementation of anything the hiring manager would like me to write.
> Many hiring mangers are scared by take home projects because they're afraid
> of what the best candidate will think. "It's an insult to experienced
> candidates!" or "how would a rockstar candidate possibly spare the time?"
> But secretly I think all hiring mangers *really* want to know what it will
> be like to have you write code on their behalf. It's just not the industry
> norm to ask.

Insightful post about a lot of things related to hiring, but I have to take
exception with this very last point.  Recently, a friend of mine sought out
a data science position in the Seattle area.  Each prospective employer
gave him a take-home assignment that required 30-40 work hours to
complete.

hardy har har.  the correct response to this is "my fee is $200/hr".
 seriously, i would not hire anybody dumb enuff to consent to this kind of
"interview". that companies even try it boggles the mind.