I might think that 30-40 hours for a sample is excessive. Honestly many
candidates worry and or prepare for at least two hours for an interview.
Then have around an hour round trip. They also might spend a full hour in
an interview. With about four hours to replace or supplement an interview
you are getting much better results for the same time cost. Maybe even less
stress for the applicant.