>> they're a little nicer to type and read

And that's where I have to disagree. The problem with most of these options
is they complect ordering with meaning.

[:image/file "/images/image" :jpeg]

Here I have no idea what these values mean. I have to have out-of-band
information about what offset in the vector corresponds to what value.
Functions have this same problem, look no further than `cons` vs `conj` to
see potential confusion on argument ordering.

So why don't we only use maps for function arguments? Well mostly to make
the functions easier to manipulate by humans. But some of the best
libraries for web APIs (AWS) that I've used have used almost an exclusively
map based interface.

Once again I have to repeat my mantra about DSLs. Don't start with DSLs.
Start with maps. Build everything off of maps. They're extensible, easy to
introspect, and can drive a host of metaprogramming algorithms. If maps are
to hard to understand, build constructor functions on top of them. Then
finally build a DSL on top, if you need it.

Frankly, I have so many things I have to remember during programming. I'd
much rather see a very uniform map-based interface. Than any sort of nested
vectors, tagged values, or anything else.

Surely we can't say that this:
>> [[:image/file :image/web] :image.file/path "/images/image"
:image.file/format :jpeg :image.web/url "www.myimage.com/image"]

Is a better interface than:

{:image.file/path "/images/image"
 :image.file/format :jpeg
 :image.web/url "www.myimage.com/image"}

And as I said before, spec is designed from the start to support data in
this format. Stating "this is a file", "this is a web image". Is just book
keeping that doesn't need to be done. Is a map a :image/web? Well check its
members and see if they match the spec. If they match, then you have a
:image/web. No need for sum types, tags, wrapping values in vectors. Simply
state what a thing should have for it to conform to an interface, and
forget whatever else might be in there. It couldn't be simpler.

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 11:59 AM, Didier <didi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> arbitrary order and has names for readability while being more concise.
> Best of both worlds. Its not ambiguous either, you can easily pass in
> vector arguments.
>
> 1.1 is also great, if you don't mind losing named parameters and having
> implicit ordering. Its also non ambiguous, very concise and allows
> overloading.
>
> Now, that's when you use them as type constructors. But the "type" you
> construct from them, after parsing the variant might be best represented as
> a Clojure map or record. It would be annoying to use a variant like that as
> an actual datastructure to perform logic on. If you need to get the
> :image/format value in a lot of places, you probably don't want to be
> passing around the variant and perform linear search lookup for it, and you
> can't use any of Clojure's function to modify the variant. You could
> implement some I guess, like an update-variant. So given this fact,  using
> maps have an advantage that they're more homoiconic, you don't need to
> parse them, when you construct them the result is not a type constructor,
> but the actual datastructure you'd want to work with.
>
> 2) What can you use them for?
>
> 2.1) As pseudo type constructor they work well. For cases where the type
> is constructed by hand, they're a nice DSL. I find they make sense then for
> hiccup for example. When your types are constrcuted by the computer, I
> think maps are better. No need to parse them. It would be cool maybe to
> deftype an actual variant type. In a way, defrecords are almost that.
>
> 2.2) As open sum types. When something expects a variant, it means that
> thing can be one of any variant type. With namespaced keys, they can be
> restricted to a smaller open set. So :image/... variants are the set of
> open image variants. Something can spec that it takes a variant whose
> namespace is image. Then you're free to extend image variants with more of
> them, like image/web, image/file, etc.
>
> 2.3) As closed sum types. I guess you could also spec something to accept
> a specific set of specific variants, like either a :success or a :failure
> variant.
>
> 2.4) They could be used as product types too. Just allow the type argument
> to be a vector.
>
> [[:image/file :image/web] "/images/image" :jpeg "www.myimage.com/image"]
>
> This gets harder to oberload arguments though. Unless you use the named
> pair version.
>
> [[:image/file :image/web] :image.file/path "/images/image"
> :image.file/format :jpeg :image.web/url "www.myimage.com/image"]
>
> 2.conclusion)
>
> I can see now how Jeanine was saying you can use them as the foundation
> for types of a programming language. Personally, I'll explore they're use
> when I'm coming up with DSLs, or any time I need to manually create types,
> I might use variants to construct them, even if what I'm constructing is a
> map, they're a little nicer to type and read.

“One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that–lacking
zero–they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C
programs.”
(Robert Firth)