I'm late to this party, and maybe this discussion has already gone on too
long. If so, I'm sorry for dredging it back up.

But I'm curious about where Tim was going with this, because I feel like I
might be missing out on a great idea:

On Tuesday, August 29, 2017 at 9:12:33 AM UTC-5, Tim Gilbert wrote:

> I've used tagged unions to represent lookup identifiers for variant types
> and found them to be pleasant to work with. I think part of the reason they
> don't seem useful in the context of this discussion is that many of the
> examples given have not actually been variants. For example, in [:image/file
> "/images/image" :jpeg], every value will have those three data elements,
> and for {:status :response :result val}, every value will have both of
> those fields, and their values will be the same type. The identifiers I was
> working with were in heterogenous collections, so I might have [:image/ref
> 45] or [:user/name "bob"] or [:project/element "project-slug" 435].

I'm trying to match this up with my personal experience, and I think that's
probably lacking.

Based on Jeanine's talk, I almost think that the real context here is
language design. I got the impression that we could probably also gain
benefits in network protocol design. (Someone mentioned this earlier in
terms of REST and HTTP, but I think there are probably broader
implications).

I'm generally in favor of the "just stick it into a map" approach. But I'd
love to hear from people with "That didn't work out well" experience.
Assuming there are any.

Thanks,

James