Hi Chris,
in my past experience you have to fix more things to update
emacs-for-clojure to latest stable CIDER release (I'm currently using
emacs-prelude instead):

In your init.el

(add-to-list 'package-archives
             '("melpa-stable" . "http://stable.melpa.org/packages/";) t)
(add-to-list 'package-pinned-packages
             '(cider . "melpa-stable") t)
(add-to-list 'package-pinned-packages
             '(seq . "melpa-stable") t)
(add-to-list 'package-pinned-packages
             '(clojure-mode . "melpa-stable") t)

And in your customizations/setup-clojure.el you have to fix the minibuffer
documentaion as follows:

(add-hook 'cider-mode-hook 'eldoc-mode)

HIH

mimmo