which-key is a fantastic package. The Emacs out-of-the-box experience is
getting better, but slowly; this sort of functionality really needs to
be in core, automatically active.

Phil

Chris Shellenbarger <chris.shellenbar...@gmail.com> writes:

> I found them useful for getting the repl to run - after following these
> instructions I was able to run 'cider-jack-in' and get to a repl that
> worked the same was as the one I had been using in Cursive.
>
> They also pointed me to a couple of suggested packages to install, in which
> whichkey was one.
>
> However, with a running REPL, I had no idea what to do - I was consulting
> cheat sheets for things I knew I wanted to do, but did not have a clear way
> to discover all the options available to me.  That's when I turned to the
> CftBT book and his configuration because at least I could see what a
> Clojure Developer was using.   Installing whichkey and whatever package
> allows the search for functions was incredibly helpful (which inspired the
> original post).
>
> What I feel is missing from a lot of the Clojure world is documentation on
> how the real professional Clojure developers are working from a day to day
> perspective.  This includes any that work in Emacs/CIDER - how are they
> working more productively than we can in Cursive or another IDE?  With the
> tools I mention in my post, I can see how you can get started down that
> path.
>
> As far as the CIDER docs go, I think a huge way to increase their utility
> would be to provide an example Emacs configuration so that people can just
> download it and get up and running within a context that can be discussed
> in the documentation.  I'm sure people have these configurations running -
> you can use the ones that I put up as well.
>

> On Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 7:13:37 AM UTC-6, Bozhidar Batsov wrote:
>>
>> Btw, didn't you find the instructions in the official manual useful (
>> http://cider.readthedocs.io/en/latest/installation/ and
>> http://cider.readthedocs.io/en/latest/up_and_running/). Admitted they are
>> not great, but they do cover a lot of ground and are reasonably up-to-date.
>>
>> On 3 March 2018 at 23:11, Chris Shellenbarger <ch...@cloudrepo.io
>> <javascript:>> wrote:
>>
>>> I spent the last week learning and using Emacs and CIDER for Clojure
>>> Development.
>>>
>>> I've started to write up a lot of the lessons I've learned from doing so
>>> in the hopes that it will help some other people who attempt something
>>> similar.
>>>
>>> Anyway, if you're interested in getting started with Emacs and CIDER,
>>> you'll have to learn about how to use the keyboard so I wrote a couple of
>>> key lessons in a Medium post:  Developing in Clojure with Emacs:
>>> Mastering the Keyboard
>>> <https://medium.com/@chris.shellenbarger/developing-in-clojure-with-emacs-mastering-the-keyboard-6cb9bef7f760>
>>> .
>>>
>>> My environment was Emacs 24.5.1 with CIDER 0.16.0 on Linux Mint 18.3.
>>>
>>> I used the Clojure for the Brave and True <https://www.braveclojure.co>
>>> book
>>> for a basic intro into Emacs <https://www.braveclojure.com/basic-emacs/>
> [...]

Phillip Lord,                           Phone: +44 (0) 191 208 7827
Biology, Medicine, Computing            Email: phillip.l...@newcastle.ac.uk
School of Computing,
http://homepages.cs.ncl.ac.uk/phillip.lord
Room 5.012 Urban Sciences Building,     skype: russet_apples
Newcastle University,                   twitter: phillord
NE4 5TG