The simplest workaround I found in the bug report you  have shared here, is
to configure Java to change the keystore type from pkcs12 to jks by simply
editing the file `/etc/java-11-openjdk/security/java.security` and changing
"keystore.type=pkcs12" to "keystore.type=jks" as it is explained in the
fifth comment[1].

And then, follow the instructions given by Peter:

$ sudo dpkg --purge --force-depends ca-certificates-java
$ sudo apt-get install ca-certificates-java

Then both lein and clj works well.

I have to remember to rollback this change when the bug is fixed in Ubuntu.

Now I understand this is an Ubuntu exclusive problem, and I appreciate your
help. Thank you.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ca-certificates-java/+bug/1739631/comments/5