Thanks for the responses:

I read into proxy-super, and it fulfills my needs.

But I'm worried about my current approach for multi-methods now:
As Mark put it:
"Not only is it clumsy, but if mymethod returns a fresh object that
is
based off of this object in some way (e.g., a non-destructive
"setter"), the return value will have this super-class tag rather
than
the original, which is probably not the desired behavior. :

Which is a serious problem that hasn't occurred to me before.

So, considering it seems that not many other people have run into this
issue, can I assume that most people just haven't had a need to call a
super multi-method? Is it a bad design choice to call your inherited
methods?

Thanks for the help
  -Patrick