Hello David,

David Nolen a écrit :
> Considering the above, I'm left wondering if it's possible to further
> eliminate these redundancies and make templates more reusable. I'm not
> sure if this is what you had in mind for Enlive, but allowing
> templates to be created without references to files would make it
> possible to build very, very composable interfaces.
> Of course it's quite possible that you can already do this with Enlive
> and I'm just unclear about how to accomplish it.

I'm sorry for the lack of documentation.

The "source" of a template/snippet can either be:
- a string (a resource path resolved by the classloader)
- a File, URI or URL,
- a map (a "literal" xml/html tree).

A template is a function that returns a seq of strings. (It's the end of
the "pipeline".)

A snippet is a function that now (in the "new" enlive) returns a seq of
nodes. (I suppose I should add "seq of nodes" as a valid source type.)
Snippets are valid values on the right-hand side of rules. The only
difference between templates and snippets is that templates serialize
their return value.

> This is great.  I had thought that supporting some kind of partial
> template thing would be interesting, but that's actually just my poor
> logic at work ;)
>
> It seems like with the new version of Enlive I could do something like
> this:
>
> (deftemplate pageA-template path
>   []
>   [[:div (attr? :tiptree:replace)]] (fn [xml-node]
> (find-the-widget-html-file-that-corresponds-to-a-certain-attr-and-return-as-result)))
>
> (deftemplate pageB-template path
>   []
>   [[:div (attr? :tiptree:replace)]] (fn [xml-node]
> (find-the-widget-html-file-that-corresponds-to-a-certain-attr-and-return-as-result)))
>
> (def pageAPartial (pageA-template))
> (def pageBPartial (pageB-template))
>
> ;; the following would work only if templates allowed passing html as
> strings and not just as files
>
> (deftemplate widgetsPageA pageAPartial
>   [map]
>   [[:div (attr? :tiptree:widget)]] (fn [xml]
> (use-xml-attr-and-map-to-apply-and-return-a-snippet))
>
> (deftemplate widgetsPageB pageBPartial
>   [map]
>   [[:div (attr? :tiptree:widget)]] (fn [xml]
> (use-xml-attr-and-map-to-apply-and-return-a-snippet))
>
> (def pageA (widgetsPageA someMap))
> (def pageB (widgetsPageA someMap))

I suppose you really want to break the computation in two and not write:
(deftemplate pageA-template path
  [map]
  [[:div (attr? :tiptree:replace)]] (fn [xml-node]
(find-the-widget-html-file-that-corresponds-to-a-certain-attr-and-return-as-result))
  [[:div (attr? :tiptree:widget)]] (fn [xml]
(use-xml-attr-and-map-to-apply-and-return-a-snippet)))

or:
(deftemplate pageA-template path
  [map]
  [[:div (attr? :tiptree:replace)]]
    (do->
      (fn [xml-node]
(find-the-widget-html-file-that-corresponds-to-a-certain-attr-and-return-as-result))
      (fn [xml] (use-xml-attr-and-map-to-apply-and-return-a-snippet))))

(well, it would work if do-> has been ported to the new enlive)

Keeping in mind the difference between a snippet and a template, you
will be able to do what you describe with the new enlive once I
implement 'attr? and add support for seq of nodes as a valid source type.

hth,

Christophe