I'd say to refactor clojure-contrib into a number of seperate modules;
individual modules (each with its own pom) could have their own
dependencies. Thus if you choose clojure-contrib-freechart, you get
that JAR (or compiled Clojure sources) plus the jfreechart dependency.

In this way you are using the good part of Maven: transitive
dependency management.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry
Director of Open Source Technology at Formos