On Apr 15, 2:34 pm, Aaron Feng <aaron.f...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I work for a large financial software company, and we are interested
> in using Clojure for our new project.  Due to the concurrent nature of
> the project, we are evaluating three possible languages: Erlang,
> Scala, and Clojure.  This project will be a hosted solution, but
> availability and performance is very important to us.  We want to
> deploy the project within 6 to 12 months, but the project will
> continue to build out the rest of the functionality for the next 2 to
> 4 years. We guesstimate that it will receive around 1M hits daily
> initially, and it will continue to grow on a monthly basis.
>
> Due to the nature of the project, I'm only allowed to give high level
> overview of the project at this time.
>
> We have a bias toward Scala and Clojure because they run on top of
> JVM.  The richness of existing 3rd party and open source libraries are
> also attractive for us.
>
> The fundamental question for us is:  Is Clojure worth our investment
> in the current state?  What are the possible risks?
>
> Also, if anyone has any thoughts on hiring Clojure people, it would be
> greatly appreciated.

If you can tolerate relatively high risk, pick Clojure or, if your
folks are allergic to Lisp, Scala. If you can't tolerate much risk,
pick Erlang; it's been around longer, has seen many production
deployments, and has been used in production environments where
reliability is of paramount importance.

I like Scala and have had good results with it in production use, but
I'd pick Clojure over Scala at this point. Clojure is simpler in
design, easier to understand in its entirety, and more readily
amenable to user patching in case that should be needed.

As for hiring people knowledgeable in the language, there aren't going
to be a lot of people very knowledgeable in any of these languages
right now. Erlang gurus may be easier to find than Scala or Clojure
gurus. You might be better served hunting for smart programmers who
like to learn languages, and who are interested in functional
programming.