Matt Clark wrote:
> Maybe I'm missing something, but what is wrong with Stuart Sierra's
> solution?  I quite like it, and it would probably be more appealing if
> it were encapsulated into a macro.

Frankly, it seemed like a good answer to the wrong question [1] instead
of being a recurring and widely known idiom in the Clojure community.
Stuart's disclaimer ("I won't claim this is an elegant solution, but
it's similar in spirit to your Python example") left me feeling that his
answer was what I asked for, not what I need, if that makes any sense.

To put it another way, any answer involving custom support code (new
macros or the like) is not the one I'm looking for. Being able to modify
the language is very cool, but not being able to solve a simple problem
with a language that thousands of people use all the time suggests to me
that I'm trying to solve a problem that everyone else sidesteps
altogether.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. An don't worry, I'll stop with the
newbie questions someday :)

[1]
http://blogs.msdn.com/ericlippert/archive/2009/04/13/restating-the-problem.aspx

--