BTW, for those of you interested in reading academic papers about
modules in functional programming langs, I found this list of
articles:
http://www.readscheme.org/modules/

I remember reading about PLT Scheme's units several years ago, and I
think it's pretty much what I'm looking for, with the ability to
import defined variables and functions from various modules, relink
them to point at each other or things newly defined in the new module
(in contrast to the problem I had with David's immigrate example where
the functions were still hard-linked to the things in the namespace
where they were defined), and then export the result.

I still hope there are more clever solutions using Clojure's existing
feature set.