On May 21, 2009, at 1:32 AM, Konrad Hinsen wrote:
> I can't say if there is an important difference between Haskell and
> Clojure
> implementation-wise.

I would be surprised if the basic idea (passing thunks instead of
values) were different or could be much different. On the other hand,
there are fewer ways to force a thunk evaluation in Haskell, usually
through I/O, the ironically-named `seq` operator, or a strictness
annotation. That might have ramifications for the implementation.

At the same time, Haskell is always compiled and GHC goes to
incredible lengths to optimize code; as a statically-typed, pure FP
language there may be more optimizations available for it than for
Clojure (but also more boilerplate and a distinction between code and
data). GHC-compiled Haskell code probably outperforms Clojure code by
quite a bit right now, but you're losing a fair amount of flexibility
for it. And I doubt that the performance difference has much to do
with laziness or how laziness is implemented in it.

—
Daniel Lyons
http://www.storytotell.org -- Tell It!