On May 20, 2009, at 5:42 PM, Raoul Duke wrote:

> hi,
>
> Seems like Haskell's laziness has an aura of "it will bite you
> performance-wise sooner or later." What is different (I'm asking
> didactically, not snarkily) about Clojure's laziness? Does it manage
> to avoid some aspects of the "uh ohs" in Haskell?

Yes, it does avoid most of them. Instead of having to grok monads and
strictness annotations, you have doall and dorun which are just
functions, and only sequences are lazy. Clojure's lazy sequences
strike me as a balance between explicit iterators and a completely
lazy language. Memoize and delay/force give you most of the other
laziness or pure functional benefits you get in Haskell. (By the way,
strictness annotations do wonders for making sense of Haskell.) Try it
out. I bet you'll find it lots easier.

—
Daniel Lyons
http://www.storytotell.org -- Tell It!