A friend of mine who worked for Sleepycat told me that the Amazon home page
does up to 40 separate queries. Of course, this was at least five years ago,
but still.

That would be an option, a fragment that rendered its body in a new/worker
thread, with a time limit, and replaced it with a placeholder if not ready
in time.

Still a ways to go; I have many other higher priority responsibilities.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry
Director of Open Source Technology at Formos