> My biggest frustration is gettting the classpath & current directory
> set up correctly.
> I'm wondering what other people do to manage these issues.

What I do is run clojure under slime and have an external script that
creates the correct classspath and then launches clojure.  The script
(called clojure) is hooked into slime using something like:

  (setq slime-lisp-implementations
        `((k-clj ("clojure" "--project" ,(expand-file-name "~/work/kineto")
                  "--no-rlwrap")
                 :init swank-clojure-init)
          ;; ...
          (ccl ("/usr/local/bin/ccl"))))

The script makes many assumptions about what needs to be in the
classpath, but it works well for me.  I don't expect the script to be
useful to anyone else, but you can look at it in
http://github.com/ctdean/clojure-launch/tree/master

It's written in Ruby and is Unix-centric.

Cheers,
Chris Dean