On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Richard Newman<holyg...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Is there some reason that the Java JIT is not doing this, with the
>> original code using defn, as fast as it works when using defmacro?
>
> The macro expands into bytecode within the same Java method, rather
> than a method invocation. Some method blocks are too big to inline,
> and perhaps the JIT doesn't have enough information (or motivation) to
> do so. The JIT compiler will only inline certain hotspots where it
> predicts a benefit. Switching to a macro forces the issue by avoiding
> that runtime analysis altogether.
>
> It's also possible that more type propagation, or elimination of
> boxing (all function parameters are boxed when they cross the function
> boundary) is involved.
>
> I'm sure others will have more to add...

I may be wrong, but doesn't a typical function invocation involve
dereferencing the Var holding the object that implements "IFn" and
calling invoke?  It seems pretty intuitive to me that this would be
difficult to inline by the JIT, there is a little bit of
synchronization going on every time a Var is dereferenced.

I think this is why a "let local" variable is faster than def'ing a
*constant* and referencing it.  Methods like AtomicInteger.get start
showing up in the profiler when I use *constants* in tight loops at
least.

Hotspot is notoriously difficult for us to intuit about, so take this
all with a grain of salt.